Sunday 29 December 2013

Some Vikings

Thanks a lot for your kind Christmas greeting. The festive were stressful and fulfilling  alike. It was pure delight to see see our little one realizing the feast and the stories for the first time. Equally I love to have my family around me and even my parents in law are bearable meanwhile. On Christmas Eve and on 25th December we traveled around visiting our kin and on 26th December they all gathered at ours and I cooked beef "Rouladen" a traditional dish from the Rhine area for them. Some great days and more or less the highlight of the year for me.

Meanwhile I was able to paint the finishing strokes on maybe the last miniatures I finished this year: Some SAGA-Vikings.
The first five vikings off my hirdmen box.
 Actually it started with a box of Viking hirdmen by Warlord Games which I bought much earlier this year. I just wanted to try some Viking stuff and prepared a set of them right away. Somehow it took several weeks until I finished them. By the way the excellent shield transfers are by Little Big Men.
With some of them I tried some green stuff conversions. I'm more or less satisfied with the cloaks I made but they're no great piece of art. Actually those guys were planned to take the place of the hearthguard with the figures above serving as warriors but meanwhile I but the nice Gripping Beast metal miniatures so their plastic counterparts will just fill the gaps or go to Ebay one day.

However unfortunately I can't submit them to Curt's painting challenge because I started painting before the challenge began. Therefor my next projects are closely related to the kind Canadian's contest. Currently I have some 1812 retreaters and of course the villain for the next bonus round on the workbench...

10 comments:

  1. Very very nice Monty! I really like the clocks, top notch work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. But the GP plastics are very helpfully clear sculpted.

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking figures Stefan! Glad you had a nice Christmas, the Rouladen looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Ray.
      Rouladen is worth a try for anyone who likes braised beef and pickles. ;-)

      Delete
  3. These are nice figures and glad you had a good Christmas

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andrew. Actually your unique Vikings confirmed m choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent painted warband!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete